Jon Kabat-Zin popularized mindfulness in the West during the 70s.
Mindfulness is "the intentional, accepting and non-judgmental focus of one's attention on the emotions, thoughts and sensations occurring in the present moment".
Scientific research shows that practicing mindfulness can help:
- Reduce stress, anxiety, and emotional reactivity
- Increase focus and concentration
- Foster relaxation and peace of mind
- Uplift mood and increase sense of well-being
- Improve self-confidence and resilience
- Cope with pain and illness
- Enhance willpower and decision-making
- Cultivate clarity, purpose, and compassion for self and others
Being mindful can go a long way in managing your stress levels.